Patna is the Gateway of Buddhist
Patna is capital of Bihar State
Patna is capital of Bihar state of India. Patna was once famous as Pataliputra. It was capital of the entire empire of Magadh during the Golden Age of India for about a thousand years. Today Patna is known as the gateway of Buddhist and Jain circuits. The city of Patna is a very fertile stretch of land along the bank of the river Ganga.
Kumhrar, the site of the ancient city of Pataliputra, lies five km away from Patna railway station. The place contains the ruins of the ancient city.
It was built by Captain John Garstin for British army in 1786, after the terrible impact of 1770 famine. The massive structure is 29 m high and the walls are 3.6 m wide at the base.
It has the mausoleum of jain saint Shoolbhadra and the temple of Sudarshan Swami.
It is located in Patna City (old city) region. This mosque was originally built by Alauddin Hussain Shah, Founder of hussaini dynasty in Bengal (1489).
It is situated in the extreme northwest of Danapur subdivision, about 32 km west of Patna on the Patna-Ara highway. Manersharif is the most important and oldest centres of Suffis in Bihar. Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation has a guest house at Maner.
It is seven km from Patna is another important centre of the Sufis. Sacred hair of the beard of Hazarat Muhammad Saheb is preserved here in the ‘Bari Khankah’ that attract thousands of his followers.
Buddha Smriti Park
Khuda Baksh Oriental public Library
This library has put the city of Patna prominently on the global intellectual map. At the same time housing over 2.5 lakh books in Arabic, Persian, Urdu, English and Hindi besides a few in German and French, also in Punjabi, Japanese and Russian.
- Library opens: 9:30 am to 5 pm.
- Reading room opens 8 am to 8 pm.
- Closed: On national holidays and Fridays.
- Entry: Free, Phone- 2300209, 2301507, Fax-2300315
- Email: kblibrary.nic.in
Mahatma Gandhi Setu
Patna Museum is one of the grand museums in India. It was set up in 1917 and is committed to offering a scientific vision to understand the evolution of history. This museum has the privilege of preserving the holy relic casket of Lord Buddha which contains his ashes and other materials discovered during the excavation of a stupa belonging to sixth century BC at Vaishali.
- Museum opens: 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Closed: On Monday
- Entry Fee: Rs 10.
- Special fee to see holy Buddhist relic: Rs 100
- Phone: 2911190
Karpoori Thakur Museum, Phone-2222537; Jalan Museum; Folk Art Museum; Gandhi Sangrahalaya, Phone-2219339, 2218260, Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya.
Sanjay Gandhi Biological Park is a famous zoo in the state. Of late, it has also become a favourite spot for joggers and walkers. Children can enjoy toy train ride, boating and elephant ride. There are a large number of animals and reptiles in the zoo.
Patna is well connected by airways, roadways and railways to other parts of the country.
Air: There are direct flights to and from kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai and Ranchi.
Railway: All important trains to and from all major stations of the country have stoppages in Patna.
Road: All weather motorable roads connect Patna with the rest of Bihar. There are regular inter-state and intra-state bus services.
Regular city buses run within the municipal area of Patna. You can hire auto-rickshaw or taxi from the airport, railway station and bus stand, pls bargain hard.
For any information and assistance, contact BSTDC’s Hotel Kautilya Vihar, Beer Chand Patel Marg, Patna (Phone:2225411, 2216219, Fax-2236218)
- Dosa Plaza, Biscomaun-3240755
- Bollywood Treat, Maurya Arcade-2203040
- Roti, Boring Road-9334651612
- Mamata Regency (with bar), Fraser Road-2225888
- Buddha Vihar, Patna Junction-2204555
- Nalanda Vihar, Patna Junction-2206444
- Hotel Samrat International-2220590
- Amrapali Restaurant, Beer Chand Patel Marg-2229272
There are several government owned and private guest houses where rooms are available at affordable rates.
- Circuit House, Beer Chand Patel Marg, Patna
- Nh Inspection Bungalow, near Patna airport
- Zoo Guest House, inside Patna zoo
- State Guest House (For VVIP guests)
- Hotel Kautilya Vihar (BSTDC Hotel)
- Beer Chand Patel Path, Patna
- 3 km from Patna airport, 1 km from Patna railway station, Phone – 2225411, 2216219, Fax-2236218
Tariff-Rs 1000 to 4000. Dormitory rooms rate-Rs 200
- Hotel Patliputra Ashoka, Beer Chand Patel Path, Phone-2224207/2505270-76
- Hotel Samrat International,Fraser Road, Patna, Phone-2220560-68, 2221856
- Hotel Maurya, Fraser Road, Patna, Ph-2203040-59
- Hotel Chankya, Birchand Patel Path, Ph-2223141/2223142
- Hotel Mamta, Dak Bunglow Chowk, Patna, Ph-2223111
- Hotel President, Fraser Road, Patna, Ph-2209200-05, 2209203-04
- Hotel Rajashthan, Fraser Road, Patna, Ph-2225102-03
- Hotel Magadh, Station Road, Patna, Ph-2321278/9939766231
- Nirvana Cottage, B-Block, White House, Budh Marg, Patna, Ph-2237117/9835047633/9334023322
- Kalidas Rangalaya, near Gandhi Maidan
- Premchand Rangshala, Rajendra Nagar
- Bhartiya Nritya Kala Mandir, Chhajjubagh
- South Indian Cultural Association (Bharati Mandapam), Vidyapati Marg
- S K Memorial Hall, Gandhi Maidan
Important Phone Numbers
- Bihar Director General of Police-2217833 (off), 2268168(Res), IG of Police, Patna-2219406 (off), 2233323(Res)
- Senior Superintendent of police, Patna-2214318, 2219717 (Off), 2320047, 2321467 (Res), 9431822967(Mobile),
- Superintendent of Police (city), Patna-2219423(Off), 2219041(Res), 9431822969(Mobile)
In Case of Medical Emergencies, Contact
- Rajeshwar Nursing Home, Kankerbagh, Ph-2367206
- Kurji Holy Family Hospital, Digha, Ph-2262540, 2262516
- Alok Nursing Home, Khajanchi Road, Ph-2302244, 2302245
- Magadh Nursing Home, Rajendra Nagar, Ph-2691515, 2691500, 2690046
- Getwell Hospital, Raja Bazar, Ph-2286530, 2289309
- Jeevak Heart Hospital, Rajendra Nagar Overbridge, Ph-2365814, 2345895
Best Time To Visit
October To March
- In summer- Max-40 degree C, Mini-21 degree C
- In winter-Max-20 degree C, Mini-6 degree C
Leave a Reply